Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Closing the Door

Today is my last day of school. I will turn the lights off and shut the door and probably do a huge exhale. It could even be emotional, but maybe not tears, maybe a giggle or a laugh or maybe I will punch the air as I walk to my car and let out a barbaric yawp. Either way, I will say a little prayer on my way home and thank my Lord for giving me peace and strength and for being faithful, and then I will say "thank you" to Him for allowing me to discover a unique community of people, adults and children, who I fell in love with more than I could have ever imagined. It was all so hard, but it was so very good.

My prayer for this summer:

Lord, I know not what I ought to ask of thee; thou only knowest my need.... I simply present myself before thee, I open my heart to thee. Behold my needs which I know not myself. Smite, or heal; depress me, or raise me up; I adore all thy purposes without knowing them; I am silent; I offer myself in sacrifice; I yield myself to thee; I would have no other desire than to accomplish thy Will. Teach me to pray. Pray thyself in me. Amen.


A book I am reading this summer is "Becoming Human" by Jean Vanier as I think I need to rediscover a bit of that in the next few weeks.


"A community is only being created when its members accept that they are not going to achieve great things, that they are not going to be heroes, but simply live each day with new hope, like children, in wonderment as the sun rises and in thanksgiving as it sets. Community is only being created when they have recognized that the greatness of man is to accept his insignificance, his human condition and his earth, and to thank God for having put in a finite body the seeds of eternity which are visible in small and daily gestures of love and forgiveness. The beauty of man is in this fidelity to the wonder of each day."

-Jean Vanier

No comments: